Monday, September 29, 2014

First Days at Home

Prepare yourself for a long update.  So, we have already been home two days.  Newborns create this time warp somehow.  I have been trying to update the blog since Sunday, and it's taken me a few days...

I was discharged from the hospital Friday around noon.  We went to the NICU for Sam's noon feeding, and then ran to Brad and Courtney's house to take all of our stuff since we would be spending the night there, and then went back to the hospital to spend the rest of the day with Sam until after his 9:00 P.M. feeding.

By Thursday and Friday, the doctors and nurses made it sound like Sam would get to leave Sunday or Monday, but when we got to the hospital around 8:00 on Saturday morning, the nurse was on the phone with my OB's office trying to schedule Sam's circumcision so we could go home!  When the nurse got off the phone, she said my OB wasn't on call that day, and the OB who was working didn't do circumcisions, so we would have to get the neo to do it, which was fine except that he is very busy all the time, plus they got several new babies to the NICU the night before.  So after hitting each goal to be able to be discharged, we were waiting on a "normal baby" thing in order to leave!  The nurse kept us updated each time the neo ordered supplies for the procedure, or wrote orders for something, etc. so we knew he was thinking about it.

Trent and Kim planned on coming by to visit that day.  Trent has band stuff going on every weekend in October, so it was going to be a really long time before they could come see us if they missed seeing us Saturday!  After Sam's noon feeding, we ran back to Brad and Courtney's to pack our stuff back up, eat lunch really quickly, and then get back to the hospital to meet Kim and Trent.  While we were gone, the nurse called to let me know his procedure had gone well and that he was ready to eat.

I think they're smitten.

If you know my brother, you know he's far smarter than I am.  I actually got to teach him some things about Sam's condition and what we need to keep an eye out for.  I was so proud of myself! 

Sam's first picture without any monitors!  I cried buckets.

We left pretty soon after their visit and got home Saturday evening around 5:30.  Granmommy said she didn't tell the girls we were coming home until pretty soon before we got there so they wouldn't annoy the bejeezus out of her have to wait too long.  Their reaction to meeting Sam for the first time was priceless.  They giggled, gave lots of hugs and kisses, and sang, "Sammy, Sammy, Sammy!"

I knew the girls would either be stuck to Sam like glue or they would want nothing to do with him at first.   We have barely been able to peel Emory off of him.  Harper dances around and sings like usual, and often takes a break to give him a kiss, bring him a blanket or toy, or sing him a song.  You will notice I have a lot more pictures of Emory with Sam than Harper with Sam because that girl doesn't stay still for very long.

I'm pretty sure my heart will explode before too long!

Emory nursing her baby...Harper brought a doll for Sam to play with

My mom got to our house about an hour after we arrived.  We had a full house Saturday night!

At about 8:00 on Sunday morning, our doorbell rang.  My sweet, sweet daddy drove four hours to surprise us!  He had to tend to the piggies Saturday, so he didn't get to come with my mom.  I know he was dying to see the girls because he didn't get to come with my mom a couple weekends ago either because I forgot to plan the birth of our child around pig sale season.  My bad.  :) It was the nicest surprise for him to come see us for the day.

Granmommy and Grandaddy with their first great-grandson:

We gave Sam his first bath at home this afternoon.  The girls helped, of course.

Then, Sam had his first photo shoot.

Looking pretty suave there, tiny sir.

And here are some random pictures...

The girls in their "big sister" shirts from Sarah

My boys

No comments:

Post a Comment